Eight people accused of attempted murder of the Democrat leader Vlad Plahotniuc will remain in custody. The Court of Appeal dismissed Wednesday, April 19, the requests of their lawyers to release the suspects.
Deputy Chief Prosecutor of the Prosecutor's Office for Combating Organized Crime and Special Causes, Vitalie Busuioc, told for CrimeMoldova that by this decision "the Court of Appeal upheld the decision of the Court of Chisinau on the measure of arrest for a period of 30 of days".
Additionally, the prosecutor said, "tomorrow the Court of Appeal is to decide on the measure of arrest of another suspect, investigated in the same case". Perhaps, it is the person, detained for having facilitated the transition of the suspects into Moldova.
Recall that the alleged assassins, who planned the murder of Vlad Plahotniuc, received arrest warrants on 10 April. They are Zabolotni Valeri, Sevcenco Dumitru, Kirov Stepan, Sevcenco Igor, Dragulea Vasile, Pasenco Iurie, Melnic Igor and Sapca Eduard.
Ukrainian MIA announced about the thwarting of the attempted murder of Vlad Plahotniuc on April 7. On the same day, a criminal group, consisting of 17 people, was arrested.
If found guilty, the suspects risk from 15 to 20 years of imprisonment.
Previously, CrimeMoldova conducted an investigation about the contractors, executors and the reasons of the attempted murder of democratic leader Vlad Plahotniuc.