The group of Gacikevici, the group of Shor, the cause of extensive investigation, the Caravita case, Platon’s case and Filat’s case are directly connected to the bank frauds in Moldova. The statement was made Friday, November 25, by the interim Prosecutor General, Eduard Harunjen, in the parliamentary hearings, aimed at the investigation of frauds in the banking system.
The acting Prosecutor General, Eduard Harunjen, said that the notorious missing billions are the gaps created by the liquidated banks, all the bad loans and historical debts that have accumulated over the years.
Similarly, Harunjen noted that the bank fraud is an open issue and any information that is made public may prejudice the investigation. "There are 177 criminal cases targeting the frauds from the three banks. The cases have ties with state officials, public servants and businessmen. The amount of damage exceeds 16.4 billion lei, and so far, we managed to recover more than 800 million lei,” Harunjen said.
According to him, the fraud involves the group of Gacikevici, the group of Shor, the cause of extensive investigation, the Caravita case, Platon’s case and Filat’s case by influencing some officials in certain decisions. All the persons concerned in the bank fraud are accused of making bad loans, withdrawal of funds from banks, money laundering, influence peddling and embezzlement. Some of them are in remand, while others have already been sentenced," Harunjen added.
The interim Prosecutor General said that legal proceedings related to "theft of the billion" might be initiated in the United States. The reason for such an investigation is that suspicious transactions were made in US dollars and America has the right to initiate its own investigations, aimed at the country's national currency. "Kroll report had an important role in the conduct of investigations; it provided information and helped the investigation. However, we must bear in mind that such an inquiry takes time; the accumulation of evidence from abroad is a complicated process and to ensure it we are working with foreign investigative services,"Harunjen explained.
In his turn, the Governor of the National Bank of Moldova, Sergiu Cioclea, said that the first contest to hire an investigation company was initiated in 2015, and then on January 28 of the same year, the state signed a contract with Kroll. "The objective of the investigation was to track fund flows, movements of bad loans and recover stolen funds. Kroll Company has analyzed financial flows for three years. According to the analyzes, the funds have gone to Moldovan banks, to 2 banks in Latvia and 2 banks in the Russian Federation. In the course of investigation, they analyzed tens of thousands of transactions, with hundreds of accounts in Moldova, Estonia, Latvia and Russia. Thus, some of the amounts seem to be placed on the accounts of persons, linked with other persons in Moldova", Cioclea noted.
The NBM governor said that Kroll international company was surprised by the professional organization of the theft. "The company sent the third report, showing that the pursuit of this money to the final destination is ongoing. Next week, we will have a meeting in Chisinau with representatives of Kroll to see how we can recover the funds. It should be noted that in the period of November 2014 - October 2015, the NBM provided the Savings Bank JSC, the SOCIAL BANK JSC and UNIBANK JSC emergency loans, secured by state guarantees, amounting to 14.1 billion lei. As of the date of withdrawal of the licenses of three banks, they have paid their debt for the credit of urgency, contracted from the NBM in the amount of 833.3 million lei. To pay the debt they used the funds received from loan repayment of borrowers, marketing of their assets and holdings in accounts at the date of withdrawal of licenses, and we believe we will be able to recover the remaining 650 million lei," the NBM governor said.
The first Kroll report was published by the Speaker Andrian Candu in early May 2015. Kroll Company began the investigation on February 11, 2015.