The SDP chairman Liviu Dragnea said he would appeal to the European Court of Human Rights and the European Court of Justice the Supreme Court's decision to keep his sentence in the Referendum case. According to the Chief of the Chamber of Deputies, "the actions are almost completed and in a very short time, the lawyers I have in this case, will file the actions in the two European courts".

The statement was made after the High Court of Cassation and Justice dismissed on April 24 Liviu Dragnea's appeal as unfounded, in the file on the referendum on the dismissal of former President Traian Basescu in 2012. Dragnea was sentenced in 2016 to 2 years with suspension in this criminal case.

"This demarche, completed as expected with the rejection of the appeal, has given me the opportunity to take two actions at the ECHR and at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg," Dragnea said, according to adevarul.ro.

Had the appeal been accepted, he would have returned to the situation where Liviu Dragnea had been convicted in the first instance, thus presumed innocent.

Dragnea demanded the annulment of the punishment, stating that the reasons for the final decision were not signed by the same judges who pronounced it. The two magistrates, however, were no longer in office at the moment of motivation.

The judges had reasoned that a suspended sentence was sufficient, as Liviu Dragnea had no criminal records. At the same time, the penalty was increased from 1 to 2 years due to the attitude of the former SDP secretary general, who denied the facts, throughout the trial.

The SDP chairman was accused that in the summer of 2012, before and during the referendum on the dismissal of Traian Basescu as President of Romania, had set up a system meant to divert the result of the vote, in order to meet the quorum required for the dismissal of the former President.

Share:
Comment article Add to bookmarks

Feedback


No reviews